Laser hair removal is a cosmetic procedure that uses laser to remove unwanted hair in areas of the body. It is an increasingly popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure as it is safe, non-invasive, less complex and it reduces hair growth.
The most commonly used lasers utilize a low energy laser beam. This beam passes through the patient’s skin and is attracted to the pigment of the hair. The energy passes down the hair shaft and is absorbed by hair follicles that are in the active growth phase, thereby disabling the hair follicle in the deeper layer of the skin. The hair follicles that are in dormant phase are not affected by the treatment.
The time it takes to complete the entire process depends on the scope being treated, the process may take from several minutes to several hours to complete. Pain is minimal and sometimes no anesthesia is required.
Benefits of laser hair removal:
- Laser hair removal can result in permanent removal of unwanted hair. Many people see a reduction in hair growth of between 60-95% after a full course.
- Laser hair removal is an effective treatment for ingrown hairs.
- The procedure is virtually painless.
- Laser hair removal is carried out by our fully qualified Cosmetic Nurses and Aesthetic Practitioners who are specially trained and highly experienced.
- We can treat all skin types including Asian, Afro Caribbean and dark skins.
- We can treat all hair types including blond, grey, white, fine (vellus)and hormonal (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)
While there are benefits, there are also disadvantages, as follows:
- The laser treatment is expensive, so not everyone can afford it.
- Some people with very sensitive skin may develop skin darkening that disappears within a few hours.
- In rare cases there maybe crust formation that subsides with application of moisturizer.
- If adequate care is not taken to cover the eyes, the person’s vision may be affected due to the intense laser beam.
- It can result in migraines in some sensitive individuals.
- Some persons may experience a tingling sensation that subsides with time.
- There may be new hair growth in some individuals.
- Laser hair removal is not very effective on gray or blonde hair.
As with other treatments and surgeries, there are advantages and disadvantages. One must be cautious before undergoing such treatments.